MANILA, THE PHILIPPINES – Mango Tree Manila has launched a bold new menu that pairs the restaurant’s bestselling signature Thai dishes with fine wines chosen by leading French wine specialists Sommelier Selection
Exciting news for Filipino foodies and oenophiles, the ‘perfect storm’ of wine pairing has formed, coupling the world’s leading Thai culinary lifestyle brand with the best in the French wine business.
The result is ‘Five Perfect Pairs’, a small but perfectly formed wine pairing menu that breaks new ground pairing serious wines with Mango Tree Manila’s signature bestselling dishes, each given a creative twist, locally sourced surprise or virtuoso plating treatment.
Mango Tree Manila General Manager Karen Caballero said ” I’m delighted to join forces with Sommelier Selection, the only Manila-based wine merchant specialising in independent boutique French wineries.”
“The Mango Tree Manila team and the experts from Sommelier Selection worked together closely, coming up with some fantastic pairings. There will be some new taste experiences that will intrigue and delight our guests and we are all very proud of the menu. They have one of the deepest inventories of wine labels in the Philippines, and their knowledge of French independent boutiques is second to none.”
“With the layers of flavour that Thai cuisine offers, we thought there were dishes that would work wonderfully with the right wine,” she said. “What better way to enhance the dining than through a serious exercise in wine pairing?”
Ms Caballero said the Philippines is one of the fastest growing economies in the world today, with consumer demand for upmarket goods rising sharply. “And while sophistication in dining has grown, Filipinos still prefer fun and company of friends over the product by themselves,” she said. “The key is ensuring the product leads to fun experiences, which translates into growth in customer visits.
“This is a perfect example of Mango Tree’s ‘Life.Style.Taste’, as local diners and expats expect the whole experience, not just a meal. It’s the perfect place to hang out and enjoy great time with special ones.”
Ms Cabellero said Mango Tree Manila had co-ordinated a series of tasting sessions so the two teams could interact and get to know each other and really understand the cuisine and the wines, with plenty of time for testing with food
“This is the art – really being able to discern the right wine for the right dish. That is what will enrich the guests’ dining experience and elevate our Thai cuisine to another level.”
The Mango Tree Manila Sommelier Selection ‘Five Perfect Pairs’ Signature Menu
1. Lamb shank in panang curry sauce with kaffir lime (Panang Kae), paired with Soleil d’ Octobre 2013. A nice and tangy blend of acidity and fruitiness; simple wine that has an evolving aromatic range.
2. Sauteed prawns with eggplant and sweet basil in green curry (Gaeng Kiew Wan Goong), paired with Reserve Grand Arc 2012 . The first tasting notes reveal the authenticity of the wine, fruits, spices and minerals. The wine has good complexity, full of fruity flavors with a hint of ripe and smooth tannic tastes. Balanced wine with a structured finish.
3. Grilled pork neck serve with Northeastern Thai dipping sauce (Khor Moo Yang), paired with Rouge Pointe 2012. Deep ruby red in color, elegant smoky components with fine aromatic expressiveness, a powerful wine.
4. Stir-fried squid with yellow curry powder (Pla Meuk Phong Ka Ree), paired with Cheze Syrahvissante 2014. Medium red in color, has spicy and rustic note, typical of Syrah. Peppery and spicy in the mouth.
5. Steamed seabass with fresh garlic, chili and lime sauce (Pla Krapong Neung Ma Now), paired with Cheverny Rouge 2013. Bright ruby red in color with purple highlights. Aromas exhibit red fruits such as strawberry and raspberry. Fruity and full in the mouth, also expressively aromatic. Good balance with a touch of acidity, has slight but pleasant bitter finish.Download Press Release